I’m not a pharmaceutical kind of girl. Never have been. Never will be. I figure that way if I or my animals actually really really need some sort of treatment, or bodies will not be desensitised to antibiotics etc. However, if I can treat something naturally (even an illness I have myself) then yes I will try a bunch of natural stuff first usually.
Although I will say this before it is asked…
I am all for Vaccinations of humans and animals. I myself, am a fully vaccinated baby and my horses are protected against Strangles, Tetanus and the Hendra Virus.
So… Back to Ointments & Things…
I have a few things that I swear by and quite honestly couldn’t live without. Here is a list of my First Aid kit for my boys:
- Weight Measure Tape
- Burn Gel
- Instant Ice Pack
- Tricin (eye ointment)
- Saline Solution (for eye washing)
- Meddi Quatro Cream
- Bepanthen Cream (it’s a nappy rash cream but it is fantastic for the itch!)
- Pinetarsol Solution (also a baby solution and fantastic for the itch!)
- Sudocream (a nappy rash cream and zinc based, great for all things!)
- Sulphur (I use this for greasy heel)
- Copper Sulphate (for hoof thrush)
- Dettol/Antiseptic Solution
- Sting-O (relief from insect bites)
- Wound Dressings
- Bandages (household ones)
- Vet Wrap Bandages
- Sanitary Napkins (these are so awesome for absorbing liquid from a wound and they do not stick to your horse)
- Melolin (non stick dressing)
- Paw Paw Cream
- Bute Powder
- Turmeric Powder
- Lavender drops (to calm them if needed, simply wipe in the nostrils)
- Betadine Solution
Please see the below video on Betadine and Sudocream.
I will make more of these in the future. 🙂
What do you have in your First Aid Kit?
Is there any “tricks of the trade” you would like to share?
See anything that might be useful for me and my boys?
Wherever you are in the world I do hope you have a wonderful day.
Happy Riding & Keep Smiling