I’m not a chemical/pharmaceutical kind of girl. Never have been. Never will be.
I will say this though just to clear it up before it gets asked.
I am all for Vaccinations of humans and animals and long may it continue… I was a fully vaccinated baby and my horses have vaccinations for Tetanus, Strangles and Hendra Virus.
Ok back to my ointments & things 🙂
I like to treat the boys with natural products more so than Antibiotics and Penicillins (if I can), that is because if they really do need antibiotics, like my poor old Billy Boy did in 2007 when he contract Equine Influenza then I reckon they have a better chance of working on an immune system that is not used to them and in no way desensitized to their effectiveness. I usually try natural remedies (again I stress as long as they do not need a vet and this is an option I can take without compromising their welfare), if the natural remedy does not work; then I look to the pharmaceutical option. Always remember that your horses welfare is your top responsibility.
My First Aid Kit has the following items:
- A Thermometer
- A Stethescope
- A Weight Measure Tape
- Dettol/Antiseptic Wash
- Saline Solution for Eye Washing
- Sting-o Solution
- Burn Gel
- Instant Freeze Pack
- Tricin (eye ointment)
- Bute Powder
- Sanitary Napkins (these are great for covering wounds and they do not stick to the cut at all)
- Medical Tape
- Gaffa Tape (for strapping on bandages in wet weather)
- Copper Sulphate
- Methylated Spirits
- Vet Wrap Bandages
- Wound Dressings
- Medi-Quattro Cream (it has a light antiseptic for pain relief)
- Paw Paw Cream
- Tea Tree Oil
- Lavender Drops (this helps calm them)
- Bepanthen Cream (for the itch! It’s amazing and soothing)
- Pinetarsol Solution (for the itch! amazing and stops them scratching)
- Melolin Dressing (it is non stick)
Please see the following video on Betadine and Sudocream 🙂
Please see the following video on treating Billy’s eye 🙂
I will do more of these in the future.
What tricks of the trade do you have?
Do you see any items I am missing?
Do you have any remedies that work for you that you would like to share?
Wherever you are in the world I hope you are having a nice day
Happy Riding & Keep Smiling